1. Program Description
The Teach and Learn in Korea (TaLK) Program invites young, adventurous college students and recent graduates to teach English to elementary school students living in the rural areas of South Korea. While teaching, participants will have the opportunity to learn about the many facets of Korean culture and find time to travel to distinct regions of the Korean peninsula.
2. Total Number of Scholars to Be Selected Scholarship Term
• Scholarship Term : 6 months or 1 year contract
(6 months: Feb 1, 2019 – July 31, 2019 / 1 year: Feb 1, 2019 – January 31, 2020)
• Citizens of Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom or the United States of America
• Overseas Koreans who are permanent residents in one of the aforementioned countries
• Korean citizens who have lived in one of the aforementioned countries as temporary residents for at least 8 years (with the intention of obtaining permanent residency), and who have completed both primary and secondary education in that country.
• Bachelor's degree candidates who have successfully completed at least two (2) years of undergraduate education, or Associate's degree holders who completed their education at an accredited post-secondary institution in one of the aforementioned countries.
• Applicants completing the last semester of the second year are eligible to apply
• Applicants with an Associate's degree or completing their final semester are eligible to apply
• Recent graduates and graduate students
• Overseas Koreans in their 1st or 2nd year of undergraduate study are eligible if they qualify for the F-4 visa or hold Korean citizenship.
• Be mentally and physically healthy and capable of performing assigned duties and responsibilities.
**Upon arrival in Korea, all TaLK scholars will undergo a mandatory medical checkup, inclusive of drug and AIDS testing. If a scholar does not satisfy the health requirements, his/her scholarship will be rescinded.
4. Applying/ Supporting Documents
• Complete the online application at www.talk.go.kr
• Create a TaLK ¡®My Page¡¯ account (Select Houston as your local application office)
• Send signed application and documents to the local application office
• Send application to : 1990 Post Oak Blvd. Suite 750, Houston TX, 77056
• Application Deadline : December 10, 2018
Application cut off periods: Sep 10, 2018 (1st) / Oct 15, 2018 (2nd) / Nov 12, 2018 (3rd)/Dec 10, 2018(4th)
• For inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org / 713-961-4104 / Fax: 713-961-4135
• Website : www.houkec.org
5. Role and Responsibility
• Participate in education and orientation
(On-line education before coming to Korean, 3 weeks of pre-orientation before starting and etc)
• Work at assigned school in Korea
• Teach 15 hours per week
• Participate in school and local society event
• Write final report and assigned note to successor
• Monthly Stipend : a fixed amount of 1,500,000 Korean Won (KRW)
• Entrance Allowance: Will be provided to the amount of 1,300,000 KRW once for all TaLK Scholars within the first 5 months of the contract term.
• Exit Allowance: Will be provided an additional amount of 1,300,000 KRW once only to TaLK Scholars who have completed one consecutive year or longer with the TaLK Program.
(The exit allowance is not provided to those who complete the shorter 6-month term.)
• Housing or Fixed Monthly Rent of KRW 400,000
• Medical Insurance Coverage: Study Abroad Health Insurance Plan during the TaLK scholarship period.
• Settlement Allowance (one-time payment): A fixed amount of KRW 300,000 is given generally within one month after arrival at the elementary school.
• POE Orientation, Online Pre-orientation, On-site Orientation
• Vacation & Sick Leave : 7 Business days per 6 months
• Government Scholarship Certificate
7. Application Process & Timeline
• For the Spring 2019 Intake: Applications to open on September 5, 2018; Applications (inclusive of supporting application documents) received after December 10, 2018 may be considered late and subsequently placed on a waitlist.
Results notice: Oct 10, 2018 (1st) / Oct 30, 2018 (2nd) / Nov 27, 2018 (3rd) / Dec 26, 2018(4th)
Process: Preliminary Screening/interview from local application office ¡æ Korean Embassy/Consulate Review ¡æ Seoul TaLK office Review
***Applicants may check the status of their application on TaLK ¡®My Page¡¯ account
• Acceptance Package will be sent via email beginning of December and requires response within 7 days of receiving the package.