The Graduate School of Korean Studies(GSKS) in the Academy of Korean Studies is a research-oriented graduate institute established in 1980. We specialize in the fields of humanities and social sciences pertaining to Korea with the aim of nurturing eminent scholars of Korean studies who would search for the essence of Korean culture and
contribute to the advancement and globalization of Korean studies. About 275 students including 135 international students from 33 countries are currently enrolled in our master's and doctoral degree programs, enjoying close one-to-one guidance by professors which our 1:4 faculty-student ratio enables.
The AKS Graduate Fellowship is one of our non-degree programs which invites and supports international students for six months, providing them with a momentum to grow to be a next generation of promising scholars in Korean studies and to play a leading role in the field abroad. Applications for the 2017 AKS Graduate Fellowship
for the period from September 1st 2017 to February 28th 2018 is now being sought.
Those who aspire to widen and deepen their knowledge of Korea by conducting research at our graduate school in one of the most dynamic countries in the world are very welcome to apply.
1. Fellowship Benefits
A. Monthly allowance of KRW900,000 is provided.
B. An economy-class round trip airfare at actual expense is provided within the limit prescribed by the GSKS Travel Expenses Policy (Please see the Attachment 1
"Maximum Round-trip Airfares Per Regions").
C. Fellowship Period : September 1st, 2017 to February 28th, 2018 (6 months in total, extension not allowed)
D. Access to the AKS facilities including the library and Jangseogak Archives is given.
E. On-campus dormitory and guest house is available at the following cost;
? Dormitory cost : approximately KRW800,000 for 6 months, double occupancy.
? Guest house cost : approximately KRW600,000 for 1 month (KRW20,000 per day), sole occupancy.
F. Korean language courses are offered free of charge.
G. A Certificate of Completion can be issued for those who successfully completed the program.
2. Number of Fellows Sought : ○
3. Recruitment Schedule
A. Application Period : May 8th ~ 5:00PM May 29th, 2017
B. Selection Result Announcement (AKS website (intl.aks.ac.kr/english) - Notice): 6:00PM June 26th, 2017
The applicant, either a foreign national or a Korean national who obtained permanent residency in a foreign country or who resides overseas and has completed education outside of Korea which is compatible with Korea‘s elementary, middle, high school and college education.
As of the application deadline, applicants must meet one of the following conditions :
① Applicants are enrolled in a master’s or a doctoral degree program at an overseas university.
② Applicants completed coursework and are in the status of ABD(All But Dissertation) in a master's or a doctoral degree program at an overseas university.
③ Applicants were conferred a master's degree at an overseas university.
As of the application deadline, applicants must reside in a foreign country outside of Korea.
An applicant's research topic should pertain to Korea/Korean studies.
※ Applications from previous AKS Graduate Fellows are not accepted.
※ Higher Korean language ability preferred.
5. Required Documents
A. Fill out and save the Online Application (including your ID photo). Print it out and sign on it.
※ Online Application website : http://portal.aks.ac.kr/Entrance/login2.jsp
※ Applicants should designate one of the AKS professors whose specialty is most relevant to their research topic as their academic advisor, referring to the list of the AKS' faculty members from the website below.
The GSKS will designate an appropriate professor as an academic advisor for those who do not choose one.
B. Certificate of Graduation and official transcripts for a bachelor's degree
C. Certificate of Enrollment (or Coursework Completion or Graduation) and official transcripts for a master's degree
D. Certificate of Enrollment (or Coursework Completion) and official transcripts for
a doctoral degree (if applicable)
E. Research Plan (3 pages in length with a free format, A4 document size)
F. Personal Statement (2 pages in length with a free format, A4 document size)
G. Official transcripts for the Korean language proficiency test (TOPIK) or English
language proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS, TEPS et cetera) (if applicable)
H. A copy of the first two pages of the applicant's passport
I. Two color ID photos (3.5cmX4.5cm) taken within the recent 6 months
※ Both side of your ears must be shown. Color of the background of your photo should be white only.
※ The ID photo should be submitted separately; besides being attached on your application form.
6. Important Notes
A. All the certificates should be original copies.
B. All the above documents must be written in Korean or in English. If documents are written in a language other than Korean or English, they must be translated into and then notarized either in Korean or in English. Alternatively, instead of
notarization, it is acceptable to submit translated documents which are confirmed by the issuing institute that the translation is correct.
C. Late applications after the submission deadline are not accepted.
D. Incomplete applications with missing documents are not accepted, and submitted documents are not returned.
7. Submission Guideline
? Complete the online application, save the data, print out and submit it with your signature alongside the original copies of each certificate by post to the following address:
The Graduate School of Korean Studies, The Academy of Korean Studies, 323 Haogaero Bundang-gu Seongnam-si Gyeonggi-do, Republic of Korea (Postcode: 13455)
? Send the rest of the required documents (soft copies or scanned documents as well) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Fellows' Obligations
A. Fellows must designate one of the AKS professors whose specialty is most relevant to their research topic as their academic advisor.
B. Course Enrollment
1) Fellows must take at least one major-specific course taught by their academic advisor or an individual study with their academic advisor.
2) Fellows must obtain "S(Successful)" for courses taken.
※ Credits are not given for courses taken.
※ Courses are graded S(Successful) / U(Unsuccessful).
C. Towards the end of the fellowship period, there will be a presentation which fellows must present their research findings.
? If fellows must leave Korea earlier than the fellowship period due to the compelling cause, they should have individual presentation. The academic advisor and international student advisor in the Office of Academic & Student Affairs must attend the presentation.
? Time and place of the dividual presentation must be settled by the fellow and the academic advisor and be inform to the Office of Academic & Student Affairs at least 1 week ahead.
D. Final Report and Evaluation Report
1) Completing their research, fellows must submit either a thesis or a report summarizing their research findings and an evaluation report written by their academic advisor before they leave the country.
2) After submitting the research result report, the evaluation report must be sealed and signed by the academic advisor and submitted to the international student advisor in the Office of Academic & Student Affairs by the fellow himself/herself.
3) A thesis or a report must be minimum 16,000 letters(including spaces) in length when written in Korean, and minimum 5,000 words when written in English excluding the bibliography.
E. When publishing a thesis or a book with research findings of the fellowship period, fellows must state that it is an outcome of the research conducted with support of the Graduate School of Korean Studies in the Academy of Korean Studies.
F. Stay in Korea
1) Fellows must stay in Korea and concentrate on their research during the fellowship period. However, exceptions can be made when fellows temporarily leave the country in order to present their papers in an academic conference with a prior approval of the Dean of the Graduate School of Korean Studies.
2) Towards the end of the fellowship period, fellows must present their passport to the international student advisor in the Office of Academic & Student Affairs and prove their stay in Korea. If the advisor found out that a fellow stayed abroad during the fellowship period, the monthly allowance will be deducted for the number of days spent overseas.
3) During the fellowship period, fellows are not allowed to be engaged in other occupations for financial purposes.
4) During the fellowship period, fellows are not permitted to register at another educational institutions in Korea.
G. As for items not stipulated here, fellows must abide by the rules and regulations of the AKS and decisions of the Graduate School Committee.
H. Every obligations (especially submitting research result report, evaluation report, having presentation on result of the research, and passport check;) must be done at least 2 weeks before departure.
※ For those who haven’t presented their returning flight ticket, this also should be submitted to the international student advisor in the Office of Academic & Student Affairs at least 2 weeks before departure. The ticket must include the following information; the name of the passenger, the date of purchase, and the date of departure)
9. Notes for Applicants
? On-campus dormitory is available from August 21st, 2017 to February 19th, 2018 due to the recruitment of new students of AKS GSKS. On-campus guest house can be used at the rate of KRW20,000 per day if necessary.
10. Provision of Monthly Allowance and Airfare
A. Monthly Allowance
1) The monthly allowance is provided in the first week of each month, except in the first month of the fellowship period when payment is made after fellows provide the GSKS with a foreigner registration number issued by Seoul Immigration Office and a Korean bank account information.
2) When the deduction cause arises; such as delayed entrance, early departure, and staying abroad, the allowance will be calculated by number of days and be granted.
1) A round trip airfare is provided in the final month after all of the obligations been kept.
2) Only 50% of the round trip airfare is offered in the following cases :
a) If fellows arrive in Korea before the notification of the selection result and reside in the country
b) If fellows stay in Korea after the fellowship period is over
3) Airfare is not provided in the following cases :
a) If fellows fail to complete the required number of classes (15 weeks) and give up their research
b) If fellows fail to submit a final report or obtain "U(Unsuccessful)" for courses taken
C. The provision of the AKS Graduate Fellowship can be cancelled and the monthly allowance as well as airfare paid can be redeemed according to the decision of the Graduate School Committee, including in the following cases :
1) If it turns out that provided information on the application form is false and that the applicant is not qualified.
2) If a fellow fails to meet obligations specified above.
11. Contact Us
? Tel : +82-31-730-8183
? Fax : +82-31-730-8189
? Email : email@example.com
Attachment 1. Maximum Round-trip Airfares Per Regions.